Sunday, July 6, 2014

New Kicks

So as I've been losing weight I have set a lot of goals and planned some rewards for myself along the way. The first major goal was to get under 300lbs, which I accomplished about 3 weeks ago. My reward for this goal was running shoes. Not just going to the nearest sporting goods store and finding some, I wanted to go to a running store. I had heard about both Road Runner Sports and Super Jock N Jill, being in Bellevue I tried Road Runner first, but when we went in they said it would be 10-15 minute wait and 40 minutes later I still had 2 people in front of me so we left. Super Jock N Jill was all the way in Green Lake so it took a little longer to get to, and we had to wait til a Saturday, but it was totally worth it. I walked in and the sales associate that greeted me asked what I was looking for and I told her I was new to running and she walked right back and started asking questions, looked at my old pair of shoes I had brought in and brought out a pair for me to try on. She watched me walk around in them and told me what kind of gait I had and brought out 4 brands of supportive shoes for me to try on. When I narrowed it down to 2 pairs she had me try one on each foot and it made my decision easy, then she had me run outside up the near hill just to make sure they worked well for me. All in all the whole process took less than 30 min, and I was being decisive, though I think even if I wasn't they would have been patient. They were really focused on getting me the right shoe for me, no pressure, no sales pitch, just wanted to do what was best for my foot. I absolutely loved it. Also, they told me that if for any reason they end up not working out for me to just bring them back and they will refund or exchange no problem. I tell you, they have gained a customer for life. 

Now for a pic: 


I ended up with a pair of Brooks and they are like walking on really supportive clouds. Of course as soon as I got home I HAD to go try them out!


When I was a kid I used to always pretend I was faster in my new shoes, c'mon admit it, you did it too. I use Run Keeper to keep track of my runs and it gives me my min/mile pace, and I was actually faster...I'm sure it has more to do with my losing weight and improving, but hey, the shoes get a little credit. 

18:41 Min/MI is my second fastest time, and this route has a big hill that my fastest time doesn't. This week I'll be starting the official Couch to 5k running plan so I should be getting faster and faster, my first goal is to be able to jog a whole 5k and I'd really like to get down to 15 Min/MI for that. 

The new shoes will help keep my ankles and knees happy.

On to the next goal, 50lbs lost. I have 14.4 to go til I'm there! 


2 comments:

  1. So glad you were able to have a good experience getting fitted. You look great in that pic, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm really happy with them.

    ReplyDelete